BUGS · SEE_ALSO
agetim -- extract fits images from image surveys
agetim regions output
- The source of the extraction region definitions. The options are:
- The name of a text file containing a list of region definitions, one region definition per line. The format of the regions file is described in detail below.
- <image list>
- The list of images containing the region definition. The input images must have a valid FITS world coordinate system in order to be used for region definition.
- If regions is set to the reserved keyword "pars" then a single region definition is read from the aregpars parameter set. By default a region ten arc minutes in size centered on coordinates ra = "00:00:00.0" and dec = "+00:00:00" in the query coordinate system is extracted.
- The list of output FITS image files. The number of output files must be equal to the number regions in the regions list times the number of astrometry catalogs in the catalog list. By default the output images are assigned names of the form "reg#[.sv#].#.fits" if the region definition source is "pars" or a file, e.g. "reg002.1.fits", or "image[.sv#].#.fits" if the region definition source is an image list, e.g. "image.1.fits". The image survey number is only inserted if there is more than one image survey in the image survey list.
- aregpars = ""
- The region definition parameter set. The aregpars parameters define the extraction region center, region width, region center units, and the region center coordinate system. The region definition parameters are used if regions = "pars".
- imsurveys = ")_.imsurveys"
- The list of input image surveys. By default the image survey name is set to the value of the package parameter imsurveys.
- wcsedit = no
- Convert a DSS WCS to a FITS WCS or add an approximate FITS style WCS to the output image headers if they don't already posess one ? The WCS status of the survey images plus approximate coordinate, scale, orientation, and projection information is stored in the image surveys configuration file imdb .
- hdredit = no
- Add a set of standard keywords to the image header which may be required or useful in the later astrometric analysis steps ? These parameters divide into two groups, those concerned with locating objects in an image and those required to transform from mean place to observed coordinates. Default settings for these parameters are stored in the images surveys configuration file.
- update = no
- Update the default values of the algorithm parameters, e.g. aregpars on task termination ?
- verbose = yes
- Print status messages on the terminal as the task proceeds ?
- imdb = ")_.imdb"
- The image surveys configuration file. Imdb defaults to the value of the package parameter imdb. The default image surveys configuration file is "astcat$lib/imdb.dat".
Agetim extracts fits images from local or remote image surveys imsurveys using a list of region definitions supplied by the user regions and writes the results of each image survey query to the output images output .
A regions definition consists of the coordinates of the field center, the field size, the units of the field center, and the coordinate system of the field center. If regions = "pars" these quantities are read from the aregpars parameters rcra , rcdec , rcrawidth , rcdecwidth rcraunits , rcdecunits ., and rcsystem . If regions is an input image list they are read from the FITS world coordinate system in the image header. If regions is a file name they are read from file whose format is the following.
# Optional comment ra1 dec1 xwidth1 ywidth1 [raunits1 [decunits1 [system1]]] ra2 dec2 xwidth2 ywidth2 [raunits2 [decunits2 [system2]]] ... .... ....... ....... [........ [......... [.......]]] raN decN xwidthN ywidthN [raunitsN [decunitsN [systemN]]]
Quantities in square brackets are optional. If system is undefined the coordinate system defaults to the query coordinate system, i.e. if the catalog query expects coordinates in J2000.0 then ra and dec will be interpreted as though they were in the J2000.0 system. If undefined the ra and dec units default to the preferred units of the coordinate system, i.e. hours and degrees for equatorial coordinate systems, and degrees and degrees for ecliptic, galactic, and supergalactic coordinate systems.
A sample regions file is shown below. If the image query system is J2000.0 then all four regions definitions are equivalent, since J2000.0 is assumed in examples 1 and 2, is specified in example 3, and example is same target as example but expressed in the B1950.0 coordinate system.
# List of targets 13:29:53.27 +47:11:48.4 10.0 10.0 13:29:53.27 +47:11:48.4 10.0 10.0 hours degrees 13:29:53.27 +47:11:48.4 10.0 10.0 hours degrees J2000.0 13:27:46.90 +47:27:16.0 10.0 10.0 hours degrees B1950.0
For each specified image survey in imsurvey agetim loops through the regions list, formats the image survey query, makes a local or remote connection to the image server using the image survey description in the image survey configuration file imdb , and captures the results. Image survey names must be of the form imsurvey@site, e.g. dss1@cadc. Image survey names without entries in the image survey configuration file are skipped.
If wcsedit = yes then DSS coordinate systems are converted into FITS coordinate systems or an approximate FITS WCS is added to the image using information in the image surveys configuration file. The quantities of interest are the values, units, and coordinates system of the reference point wxref , wyref , wraref , wdecref , wraunits , wdecunits , and wsystem , and the scale, orientation, and projection information wxmag , wymag , wxrot , wyrot , and wproj . For more information on how these quantities are defined in the image surveys configuration file type "help imsurveys".
If hdredit = yes then a standard set of keyword equal values pairs will be added to the image headers using information in the image surveys configuration file. The parameters divide into two groups those concerned with locating stars in the image and computing accurate pixel centers: edatamin , edatamax , egain , and erdnoise , and those required for transforming mean place coordinates to observed plate coordinates as may be required to compute very accurate image scales, observat , \Iesitelng, esitelat , esitealt , esitetz , emjdobs , ewavlen , etemp , and epress . New keyword values are only added to the header if keywords of the same name do not already exist and if appropriate values for the keywords exists, i.e. "INDEF" valued parameters will not be added to the header.
If update = yes the values of the aregpars parameters will be updated at task termination. If verbose = yes then detailed status reports are issued as the task executes.
1. Extract data from the default image survey using the default region definition, display the resulting image, and examine its header.
cl> agetim pars default cl> display reg001.1.fits 1 fi+ cl> imheader reg001.1.fits lo+ | page
2. Repeat the previous example but convert the DSS WCS to a FITS WCS. The DSS WCS is unaltered.
cl> agetim pars default wcsedit+ cl> display reg001.2.fits 1 fi+ cl> imheader reg001.2.fits
3. Repeat example 2 but extract data for two surveys.
cl> agetim pars default wcsedit+ imsurveys="dss1@cadc,dss2@cadc" cl> display reg001.3.fits 1 fi+ cl> imheader reg001.3.fits cl> display reg002.1.fits 2 fi+ cl> imheader reg002.1.fits
4. Repeat example 2 but add the values of the standard astrometry image keywords if these do not already exist in the image header and are defined.
cl> agetim pars default wcsedit+ hdredit+ cl> display reg001.4.fits 1 fi+ cl> imheader reg001.4.fits
5. Extract images for a list of regions in a text file. Note that the coordinate system and coordinate units are not specified in this regions list and default to those expected by the image survey query.
page regions 00:00:00.0 -90:00:00 10.0 10.0 00:00:00.0 -60:00:00 10.0 10.0 00:00:00.0 -30:00:00 10.0 10.0 00:00:00.0 +00:00:00 10.0 10.0 00:00:00.0 +30:00:00 10.0 10.0 00:00:00.0 +60:00:00 10.0 10.0 00:00:00.0 +90:00:00 10.0 10.0 cl> agetim regions default
6. Run agetim on a list of images containing valid FITS WCS information. Note that in the following example the test image dev$pix does not have a FITS WCS so no data is extracted for it.
cl> page imlist dev$pix dev$ypix cl> agetim @imlist default
If output file is not a fits file, as may be the case if an error occurred in the network transfer, and heasder editing is enabled agetim will crash with a file seek error. The bug is due to missing error check statements in the FITS kernel and will be fixed for the next release.