REFERENCES · BUGS · SEE_ALSO
normspflat -- Normalize STIS CCD fringe flat
normspflat inflat outflat
- Input flat field image to be normalized
- Output, normalized flat field image
- (do_cal = yes)
- Perform bias and dark subtraction and cosmic ray rejection prior to normalization?
- (darkfile = "")
- Name of (reference) superdark image to be used for dark subtraction. If this value is null (the default), the DARKFILE keyword in the main header of inflat will be used (in that case, make sure it is correctly populated)
- (pixelflat = "")
- Name of reference flat field image to perform pixel-to-pixel correction
- (wavecal = "")
- Name of wavecal file [ONLY USED IN CASE OF G750M SPECTRA]
This task provides the first step towards the creation of a "fringe flat" image that can be used to eliminate the fringes that are present in STIS first-order CCD spectra at wavelengths longer than about 700 nm. This task is suitable for both contemporaneous flat field images and library flat field images.
The input flat field image inflat is first run through the STIS pipeline calstis in order to perform bias subtraction, cosmic ray rejection, dark subtraction, and division by a pixel-to-pixel flat field. In case of G750M data, wavelength calibration and S-distortion correction is performed as well, so that a wavelength calibration image (wavecal) can be provided for G750M spectra as well (parameter wavecal ). An appropriate superdark file name can be provided as parameter darkfile , as can a pixel-to-pixel flat field. If these reference files are not specified, the ones listed in the image header will be used. The log file of the calstis reduction steps is written to output file calstis.logfile .
The task allows the user to bypass the whole calstis reduction step described in the previous paragraph through boolean parameter do_cal . In case do_cal is set to "no", make sure that inflat has been corrected for pixel-to-pixel sensitivity variations with the proper flat field.
The input flat field image inflat is then normalized to unity in the illuminated part of the image by an appropriate spline fit to the lamp function. The illuminated part of the image is derived from the value of the "aperture" keyword in the main header of inflat . This normalization is done on a line-by-line basis.
The output image outflat should be further processed by task mkfringeflat which matches the fringes in the flat field to those in the science spectra. The actual fringe correction is subsequently performed through task defringe .
INPUT AND OUTPUT IMAGES
The input STIS images are contained in extensions in FITS files, with three extensions in a set: science (EXTNAME=SCI), error (ERR), and data quality (DQ). If do_cal is set to "yes", there may be multiple sets (or groups) in the input file, and if so NORMSPFLAT will read each group, calibrate it, and normalize the combined single three-extension group to produce the output FITS file.
1. Normalize a contemporaneous STIS G750L flat field image. Use superdark file "mysuperdark.fits" to provide the most up-to-date correction of hot pixels in the input image.
cl> normspflat o3st20gda_raw.fits normff.fits \ >>> darkfile="mysuperdark.fits"
2. Same as 1, but for a G750M flat field image.
cl> normspflat o3st20gdr_raw.fits normff.fits \ >>> darkfile="mysuperdark.fits" wavecal="o3st20gdu_wav.fits"
3. Normalize a previously reduced G750M flat field image.
cl> normspflat o3st20gdr_sx2.fits normff.fits do_cal-
4. Example of all steps involved in fringe correction for a G750M spectrum o3st20gdr_raw.fits and its associated contemporaneous fringe flat o3st20gds_raw.fits:
cl> normspflat o3st20gds_raw.fits normff750M.fits \ >>> darkfile="mysuperdark.fits" wavecal="o3st20gdr_wav.fits" cl> prepspec o3st20gdr_raw.fits darkfile="mysuperdark.fits" cl> mkfringeflat o3st20gdr_sx2.fits normff750M.fits normff750M_fin.fits cl> defringe o3st20gdr_sx2.fits normff750M_fin.fits \ >>> outspec="o3st20gdr_final.fits" do_cal-
5. Same as 4, but for a G750L spectrum o3st20gda_raw.fits, wavecal o3st20gda_wav.fits and contemporaneous fringe flat o3st20gdb_raw.fits:
cl> normspflat o3st20gdb_raw.fits normff750L.fits \ >>> darkfile="mysuperdark.fits" wavecal="o3st20gda_wav.fits" cl> prepspec o3st20gda_raw.fits darkfile="mysuperdark.fits" cl> mkfringeflat o3st20gda_crj.fits normff750L.fits normff750L_fin.fits cl> defringe o3st20gda_crj.fits normff750L_fin.fits \ >>> outspec="o3st20gda_defr.fits" do_cal-
Task created by Paul Goudfrooij on April 2, 1998. Task modified by Paul Barrett on October 21, 2004.