ridsout -- convert IDSOUT format text file to IRAF images
ridsout idsout_file iraf_file
- The text file or files containing the IDSOUT format data. This will most likely be the redirected output from task rcardimage .
- The IRAF file which will receive the data if the make_image parameter is set. If multiple records are being converted, the output filename is concatenated from this parameter and the IDS record number. That is, images with these names would be created if iraf_file = "ids": ids.1001, ids.1002, ids.1003, ..., ids.2001, ids.2002, ..., ids.3001 ....
- record_numbers = "1001-9999"
- A string listing the IDS records to be read.
- make_image = yes
- This switch determines whether the IDS records are converted to IRAF images. When make_image = no, only a listing of the headers is produced, no output image is written.
- print_pixels = no
- When this parameter is set to yes, the values of the ids pixels are printed.
- long_header = yes
- This parameter determines whether a long or short header is printed. When long_header = no, a short header is printed. The short header contains only the record number and ID string; the long header contains all information available including the RA, Dec, HA, ST, UT, reduction flags, airmass, integration time, starting wavelength and wavelength per channel information.
- data_type = "r"
- The data type of the output IRAF image. If an incorrect data_type or null string is entered, the default data type real is used.
IDSOUT format IDS records are read from a text file and optionally converted to a sequence of one dimensional IRAF images. The text file will most likely have been created by reading an IDSOUT tape with rcardimage . The IDS records to be read from the file can be specified. The IDS header information is printed in either a short or long form. The pixels values can be listed as well.
 Convert all records in the IDSOUT file to IRAF images, with the root image name being "aug83". The IDSOUT file is the first file on the tape, which is mounted on mtb.
cl> rcardimage mtb | ridsout aug83
 List the headers from the same IDSOUT file read in example 1, but don't make output images. A long_header will be listed; sample output is shown.
cl> rcardimage mtb | ridsout make_image=no
RECORD = 2317, label = "CALLISTO 2297/2298 CLEAR/2.5ND", oflag = OBJECT, beam_number = 0, alpha_ID = NEW, companion = 2318, airmass = 1.524, W0 = 3430.735, WPC = 1.032, ITM = 960, NP1 = 0, NP2 = 1024, UT = 3:36:20.0, ST = 15:36:43.0, HA = 1:39:48.5, RA = 13:56:55.5, DEC = -10:42:37.1, df = -1, sm = -1, qf = -1, dc = 0, qd = 0, ex = 0, bs = 1, ca = 0, co = -1
 Print the pixel values for records 5086 and 5087. No output image will be written, and only the short header listed. Again, the IDSOUT file is the first file on the tape, which is mounted on mtb.
cl> rcard mtb | ridsout make- long- print+ rec = 5086,5087
The current version of IRAF magtape I/O does not read beyond the first
volume of a multivolume tape.
Task ridsout allows for converting more than one IDSOUT file per execution. In cases where a given record number occurs in more than one IDSOUT file being read and make_image = yes , this creates a problem, as the images being written will have the same name for the duplicate record numbers ("iraf_name.record_number"). The action taken in this situation depends on the value of "noclobber"; the user should be aware of the potential problem.