setinstrument -- Set instrument parameters
- Instrument identification for instrument parameters to be set. If ? then a list of the instrument identifiers is printed.
- site = "kpno"
- Site ID.
- directory = "ccddb$"
- Instrument directory containing instrument files. The instrument files are found in the subdirectory given by the site ID.
- review = yes
- Review the instrument parameters? If yes then eparam is run for the parameters of ccdred and ccdproc .
- Parameter query if initial instrument is not found.
The purpose of the task is to allow the user to easily set default parameters for a new instrument. The default parameters are generally defined by support personel in an instrument directory for a particular site. The instrument directory is the concatenation of the specified directory and the site. For example if the directory is "ccddb$" and the site is "kpno" then the instrument directory is "ccddb$kpno/". The user may have his own set of instrument files in a local directory. The current directory is used by setting the directory and site to the null string ("").
The user specifies an instrument identifier. This instrument may be specific to a particular observatory, telescope, instrument, and detector. If the character ? is specified or the instrument file is not found then a list of instruments in the instrument directory is produced by paging the file "instruments.men". The task then performs the following operations:
- If an instrument translation file with the name given by the instrument ID and the extension ".dat" is found then the instrument translation file parameter, ccdred.instrument , is set to this file. If it does not exist then the user is queried again. Note that a null instrument, "", is allowed to set no translation file.
- If an instrument setup script with the name given by the instrument ID and the extension ".cl" is found then the commands in the file are executed (using the command cl < script . This script generally sets default parameters.
- If the review flag is set the task eparam is run to allow the user to examine and modify the parameters for the package ccdred and task ccdproc .
1. To get a list of the instruments;
cl> setinstrument ? [List of instruments] 2. To set the instrument and edit the processing parameters: cl> setinstrument ccdlink [Edit CCDRED parameters] [Edit CCDPROC parameters] 3. To use your own instrument translation file and/or setup script in your working directory. cl> setinst.site="" cl> setinst.dir="" cl> setinst myinstrument To make these files see help under \fBinstruments\fR. Copying and modifying system files is also straightforward. cl> copy ccddb$kpno/fits.dat . cl> edit fits.dat cl> setinst.site="" cl> setinst.dir="" cl> setinst fits